- carry my purse in public
- not complain about carrying my purse in public
- text me his coordinates every hour outside of school/work hours
- spend the weekend with me (except in special circumstances)
- befriend only married female classmates/colleagues
- cook exquisite meals
- buy me a thoughtful present every month
- coax me into forgiving him when he makes a mistake
Foreign girlfriends care too much about respecting their boyfriends’ individuality. By contrast, Chinese girlfriends believe that the best way to nurture a relationship is by stripping their boyfriends of individuality, so that existence as a couple – complete with its many rules and expectations — is the only existence these men will know, and be able to survive in.
Click here to read the rest of Christine Tan's truthful parody of Amy Chua's Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.